I wanted to write a couple funny observations and talk about some of the food I've had lately!
Okay so the observations all center around things I have seen people do while riding bikes.
1) Talk on a cell phone
2) Hold an umbrella
3) This is from last night - light a cigarette! With both hands! I mean it is funny enough to smoke while riding a bike but then to be riding along as you light it... that is so Italy.
They really do love their cigarettes here... coming back on the train from Bologna, these guys waiting to get off at Florence had their cigarettes out and ready to go about 5 minutes before we stopped, and then lit up the SECOND the doors opened... ah well. I just try not to breathe too much outdoors. Ha.
Also food! Two nights ago Cristina made a DELICIOUS risotto using champagne, onions, other stuff, and of course the rice. It turned out really well. Lisa is very finicky about eating... she will say that things are disgusting while I am gobbling them up, and Cristina tries to get her to eat more, especially meat/protein.
I think the same night as the risotto, they put out this jam made out of ginger on the table that they got in Germany. The idea was to put it on the pecorino cheese we had (pecorino is a regional specialty in Tuscany). Anyway the combination was delicious, I probably ate half the cheese, though I tried to hold back to make sure it was okay, ha.
Last night I went to a restaurant called "Yellow" with Mairi and a few other girls for her birthday. Yes, it is really called Yellow. In English. Anyway, I got gnocchi with a gorgonzola and basil sauce, which was yum, we ordered a bottle of Chianti classico, and I had tiramisu for dessert. We lingered for a while after dinner, so we were in the restaurant probably a total of about 3 hours. Yes, it's true, they don't bring you the check unless you ask for it! It was really fun though, to eat out and do something social!
Alright I am off to shower and leave in time to have some lunch and get to class at 1 pm.
Kate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Was poking around your blog and then there was this new post! Fun to see it right after you posted it. I could almost taste the cheese and jam. (Three of us ate at Amuse Sunday night and had a cheese course for an appetizer at the suggestion of the waitress.) jg
Kate, we'll try to stop in here more regularly to read your interesting observations about your life in Italy.
By the way, I LOVE ginger marmalade! I have a very nice piece of ginger root and I really ought to do something with it.
Love,
Mike and Susan
Post a Comment